Mattis Heads to NATO to Discuss Afghanistan Plan with Allies

U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis travels this week to Brussels, where he will consult with NATO allies on troop contributions and other support in Afghanistan before announcing his own decision on increasing the number of U.S. forces in that war-torn country. But as VOA Pentagon correspondent Carla Babb reports, the new strategy is likely to be more of the same.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

Small Farm, Meet Big Data

It’s one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century: how to feed a growing population without ruining the environment. Farmers may get some help from artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things. As VOA’s Steve Baragona reports, falling costs and advancing technology may put precision agriculture in reach for more farmers worldwide.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

Iran Blasts US Top Court Ruling on Trump Travel Ban

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has denounced the U.S. Supreme Court’s partial reinstatement of a travel ban affecting six predominately Muslim countries and said the decision could energize terrorist groups.

“It is regrettable that the citizens of the countries on the list have never participated in any act of terrorism against the U.S. and yet they are being punished for acts of terrorism,” Zarif told reporters Tuesday during a visit to Berlin.

Zarif added the reinstatement was the “greatest gift” for terrorist groups seeking new recruits.

In an apparent reference to Saudi Arabia, Zarif said the travel ban punishes people who have never been “involved in terrorism” while citizens of other countries involved in past terrorist acts were not affected.

Osama Bin Laden and 15 of the 19 hijackers involved in the September 11, 2001, al-Qaida attacks on the United States were Saudi nationals.

During a recent visit to Saudi Arabia, President Donald Trump closed arms deals worth nearly $110 billion.

The Supreme Court says it will consider the case of Trump’s executive order restricting travel while allowing much of the order to take effect.

Trump’s revised executive order, often referred to as a travel ban, halted entry to the U.S. for people from six mostly Muslim countries for 90 days and the nation’s refugee program for 120 days.  The order said these steps were necessary in order to revise security screening to safeguard the nation from external threats.

The travel order had been stayed by two separate federal courts, one in Hawaii and one in Maryland.  Both rulings were upheld by separate appeals courts.

US link crucial for travelers

The nation’s highest court took a more nuanced view, allowing the ban on travelers from Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen and the suspension of the refugee program.

But the justices said the ban on travel cannot be enforced against “foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.”

The court goes on to define relationships that would qualify: for individuals, a family relationship; for students; admittance to a college or university; for workers, a job offer.

Trump has said that the travel order would go into effect 72 hours after the high court ruling.

In a statement Monday, he called the Supreme Court decision “a clear victory.”

The president added that the ruling helps him protect the homeland.  “As president, I cannot allow people into our country who want to do us harm.  I want people who can love the United States and all of its citizens, and who will be hardworking and productive.”

The justices are expected to hear the travel order case later this year, but noted that they will also consider whether the case will be moot at that point. The measures spelled out in the order are meant to be temporary while the government reviews its security procedures.

Becca Heller, executive director for the International Refugee Assistance Project, said individuals most likely to be affected are those seeking tourist visas from the six countries in question. This is due to their potential inability to prove a relation to the United States that the court’s ruling calls for.

As for refugees, Heller said their clients will largely not be affected and neither should the clients of other resettlement organizations.  As of May 31 of this year, 46,403 refugees have been admitted into the United States, near the cap of 50,000 the Trump administration put into place.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

Yale University Sues Connecticut Over Gender-Neutral Bathrooms

Yale University has sued the state of Connecticut over rules it says limit the number of gender-neutral bathrooms it can designate on campus, the latest skirmish in the broader U.S. fight about gender identity.

The Ivy League school said in the lawsuit it wants to designate all single-occupant restrooms at its law school as gender neutral, but the plan would run afoul of the state building code, which does not count gender-neutral bathrooms when it assesses whether a public building has enough toilets.

The suit was filed on Friday in Connecticut Superior Court in New Haven, after the university received complaints from law school students. Yale has asked the state to drop requirements that single-user restrooms have an assigned gender label.

Restrooms have become a flashpoint in the fight over transgender rights, following North Carolina passed a law last year requiring people to use public restrooms that corresponded with their birth gender. The measure was partially repealed in March after the state lost hundreds of millions of dollars from economic boycotts.

Texas lawmakers are expected to consider a similar measure next month. Proponents of the bathroom bills say they aim to protect individual privacy. That is not a factor in the Yale case, which focuses on single-occupant restrooms.

“The proposed shift in designation to gender neutral …. would facilitate quick access to a bathroom within the building for persons of all gender identities,” the 315-year-old university wrote in the lawsuit.

The state code would require Yale to build more bathrooms to be in compliance with rules about the number of restrooms for men and women. The school said it would be impractical and unnecessary in its century-old law school building.

A spokesman for Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy, a Democrat, did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and officials from the state Codes and Standards Committee, which oversees the rules, were not immediately available.

The suit asks the court to order the state to allow Yale to count gender-neutral single-user bathrooms toward state requirements and order the state to modify the rules to allow gender-neutral bathrooms to count for code compliance in all cases.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

Україна готує телефонну конференцію країн «нормандського формату» –  міністр Клімкін у Римі

Україна має намір організувати телефонну конференцію країн-членів «нормандського формату» з врегулювання ситуації на Донбасі.  Про це повідомив у вівторок у Римі міністр закордонних справ України Павло Клімкін, який перебуває в Італії з дводенним робочим візитом.

На прес-конференції у зовнішньополітичному відомстві Італії, Клімкін повідомив, що телефонна конференція між чільними представниками  України, Росії, Німеччини та Франції має відбутися найближчим часом, «йдеться про лічені дні».

За словами Клімкіна, на телефонну дискусію Київ «виносить чітке питання: Росія надалі не повинна мати можливості порушувати Мінські угоди».

Москва має припинити обстріли, вивести нерегулярні війська, дозволити контроль з боку ОБСЄ на всій території Донбасу, включно з українсько-російським кордоном, звільнити полонених та сприяти проведенню вільних виборів, – заявив Павло Клімкін у Римі.

Як повідомляє кореспондент Радіо Свобода, у вівторок глава зовнішньополітичного відомства України зустрівся з італійським колегою Анджеліно Альфано. Той – зі свого боку – запевнив, що Італія не шкодуватиме зусиль для відновлення економічного розвитку України в контексті дії Угоди асоціації з ЄС, економічну частину якої підписали три роки тому.

«Ми не будемо шкодувати зусиль, щоб заспокоїти італійських інвесторів стосовно того,  що Україна перебуває в пошуку стабільності. Наші економічні оператори  прагнуть безпеки, і ми працюємо разом, щоб допомогти  гарантувати   цю безпеку», – заявив міністр Анджеліно Альфано.

Він додав, що наступного року внесок Італії у плані безпеки посилиться, адже ця країна перебирає головування в ОБСЄ. Аджеліно Альфано вкотре підтвердив офіційну позицію Рима, що «Італія не визнає анексії Криму Росією ні в якій формі».

Міністр закордонних справ Італії назвав переговори з українським колегою  корисними і конкретними, та висловив задоволення щодо рівня розвитку двосторонніх відносин.

У рамках дводенного візиту до Рима міністр Павло Клімкін виступив також на слуханнях комітету закордонних справ в італійському парламенті, де йшлося про двосторонню співпрацю та розвиток ситуації на Сході України у контексті дотримання мінських домовленостей. 

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

ЧАЕС перейшла на радіаційний моніторинг у ручному режимі через кібератаку

Чорнобильська АЕС перейшла на радіаційний моніторинг промислового майданчика у ручному режимі через кібератаку, повідомляє прес-служба Державного агентства з управління зоною відчуження.

«У зв’язку з кібератакою не працює сайт Чорнобильської АЕС. Усі технологічні системи станції працюють у звичайному режимі. Через тимчасове відключення системи Windows радіаційний моніторинг промислового майданчика здійснюється в ручному режимі», – йдеться в повідомленні.

Раніше Департамент кіберполіції заявив, що має 22 звернення про втручання у роботу персональних комп’ютерів станом на 16:10 від державних та приватних установ, зокрема, одного мобільного оператора.

27 червня про масштабну хакерську атаку на низку банківських установ повідомили в Нацбанку. Окрім того, про атаку вірусом «Petya.A» повідомила «Нова пошта», також є інформація про кібератаки на Кабінет міністрів, «Укренерго», «Київенерго», «Запоріжжяобленерго», «Дніпроенерго», аеропорт «Бориспіль» та кілька редакцій великих медіахолдингів у Києві та Львові.

Секретар РНБО України Олександр Турчинов заявив, що, за попередніми оцінками, до кібератаки, від якої постраждали українські державні й приватні установи, може бути причетна Росія.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

МЗС: візовий режим з Росією підтримуємо, але це ускладнить життя українцям

Міністерство закордонних справ України підтримує запровадження візового режиму з Росією і технічно готове реалізовувати це рішення, якщо воно буде ухвалене Верховною Радою. Про це в ефірі Радіо Свобода сказала речниця Міністерства закордонних справ України Мар’яна Беца.

«Наша позиція досить послідовна – підтримуємо введення віз з Росією. Ми розуміємо, що це країна агресор і для нас головне питання це контроль на кордоні… Якщо буде ухвалено політичне рішення Верховною Радою, безперечно ми будемо готові технічно і технологічно», – зазначила вона.

При цьому в МЗС побоюються дзеркальної відповіді з боку Росії і як наслідок ускладнення життя для українців.

«У Росії перебуває 3-4 мільйони українських громадян. Треба розуміти, як це може зачепити їхні права та інтереси. По-друге, як буде здійснюватися в’їзд і виїзд з Криму. Ми не можемо в’їжджати з візами на свою власну територію, якщо Росія запровадить візовий режим. По-третє, це питання неконтрольованої ділянки кордону, яка є між Росією та Україною», – розповіла Мар’яна Беца.

Загалом в МЗС виступають за ще більш жорсткі заходи перетину кордону з Росією, ніж просто введення візового режиму.

«Можливо розглянути введення в’їзду і виїзду за біометричними паспортами для росіян, плюс візовий режим, плюс реєстрація або в органах Міграційної служби, або через відповідні інтернет служби. Це на майбутнє, в широкій перспективі», – додала речниця МЗС. 

Секретар Ради національної безпеки і оборони України Олександр Турчинов оголосив, що громадян Росії мають із часом пропускати через кордон до України тільки за біометричними закордонними паспортами і з одночасним контролем біометричних даних.

Раніше міністр закордонних справ України Павло Клімкін виступив на підтримку ініціативи дозволити в’їзд до України громадянам Росії лише за умови «попереднього інформування» про намір перетнути українсько-російський кордон. Міністр юстиції України Павло Петренко, зі свого боку, заявляв, що юридичні механізми для запровадження візового режиму з Росією готові і що для цього потрібне тільки політичне рішення.

Речник президента Росії Дмитро Пєсков заявляв, що в разі запровадження віз Росія відреагує симетрично.

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!

Draghi: Stimulus Could be Scaled Back if Economy Improves

European Central Bank head Mario Draghi signaled the bank could trim back its stimulus efforts if the economy keeps strengthening, but said that any such move would be gradual and cautious.

 

Draghi’s said in a speech Tuesday at an ECB conference in Sintra, Portugal, that “a considerable degree” of stimulus support was still needed and that “we need persistence in our monetary policy.”

 

But he said that the bank’s level of stimulus will be adjusted as the economy improves but would remain supporting of the economy, or “accommodative,” as Draghi put it

 

The euro rose a sharp 0.9 percent against the U.S. dollar to $1.1280 upon the remarks, a sign that foreign exchange traders may have interpreted Draghi’s words as signaling a willingness to withdraw stimulus. Central bank bond purchases and interest rate cuts can weigh on a currency’s exchange rate; an end to the stimulus should mean a stronger euro.

 

Market observers are watching for signals about when the ECB will start reducing its 60 billion euros ($67 billion) per month in bond purchases, a program that aims to increase inflation and growth. The central bank has edged toward the exit in recent comments, saying that risks to the economy have lessened and it could even do better than expected.

 

Draghi has not said when the purchases might be scaled back. They are slated to run at least through year end, and longer if needed. Many analysts think the bank might give a clear signal at its September 7 meeting.

 

Marco Valli, chief eurozone economist at UniCredit Research, said the speech indicated that “the ECB seems on track for a tapering announcement in September.” Valli said in a research note that, absent unexpected trouble for the economy, bond purchases could be reduced to 40 billion euros a month in the first half of 2018 and to 20 billion euros in the second half before ceasing at year end.

 

The stimulus withdrawal decision is being closely watched because it could have wide-ranging effects on investors, governments and consumers. The bond purchases aim to drive down long-term interest rates and raise inflation by sending newly printed money into the banking system and the economy. When they end, rates should rise, meaning higher costs for longer-term borrowers such as people with house mortgages. Savings accounts or other conservative holdings would become more attractive relative to stocks.

 

The ECB is trying to raise inflation from the current 1.4 percent toward its goal of just under 2 percent, a level it considers most consistent with a healthy economy. Inflation has lagged even during 16 straight quarters of growth for the 19 countries that use the euro currency.

 

Draghi said that inflation was not picking up as fast as it typically does. That could be because wage and price decisions were still affected by the crisis and Great Recession. Because of the bout of low inflation that followed, people were still writing smaller increases into wage contracts. He said that such “backward-lookingness” would eventually give way to stronger inflation as the recovery continues but it would take time.

 

 

 

THE domain at THE price! $.99 .Com Domains from GoDaddy!