California Governor Optimistic About Federal Help as Wildfire Toll Rises

Authorities in the western U.S. state of California were able to determine Sunday that nearly 300 more people are safe after the deadliest wildfire in the state’s history swept through their town.

But more than a week after the Camp Fire began in Paradise, nearly 1,000 people are still unaccounted for as search crews go through the remains of burned buildings and others try to contact those reported missing by friends and family. 

The official death toll rose to 77 people Sunday. The Butte County Sheriff’s Office said that so far authorities have identified 67 of the dead.

The fire itself is still burning, 65 percent contained as thousands of firefighters work to bring it under control. 

Fire officials said crews made progress Sunday in creating and reinforcing the containment lines they hope will eventually halt the fire’s advance.

They are due to get some help this week with several days of rain in the forecast for northern California.

But while the shift in weather from the dry, hot conditions that allowed the blaze to spread so rapidly will help firefighters, it will also make the work of those searching for remains among ash more difficult. And with the fire leaving behind terrain stripped of vegetation, there is also a heightened risk of floods and mudslides.

California’s governor expressed optimism Sunday that U.S. President Donald Trump would support the state.

Following Trump’s visit to California the day before, Democratic governor Jerry Brown said in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation” that the president has “got our back” and has pledged to continue to help.

​”The president not only has signed a presidential declaration giving California substantial funding, but he said and pledged very specifically to continue to help us, that he’s got our back,” Brown said. “And I thought that was a very positive thing.”

Brown also suggested in Sunday’s interview that California’s wildfires will make the most ardent of climate change skeptics believers in the coming years.

Trump visited California Saturday to get a close-up look at the widespread damage that raging wildfires have inflicted on the state.

“Nobody would have ever thought this could have happened,” he said to reporters after walking through burned-out ruins in Paradise. “It’s like total devastation.” 

At least 10,000 homes have been destroyed.

“I think people have to see this really to understand it.” Trump said. 

Trump was accompanied on his visit by Paradise Mayor Jody Jones, California Governor Brown, Governor-elect Gavin Newsom, and Federal Emergency Management Agency head Brock Long.

He pledged to the California officials the support of the federal government, saying, “We’re all going to work together.” He vowed also to work with environmental groups on better forest management and added, “Hopefully this is going to be the last of these because this was a really, really bad one.”

But when asked if the fire had changed his mind on climate change, Trump said, “No, no.” He said he believes a lot of factors are to blame. 

The president also visited a local command center in Chico, California, and praised the firefighters and other first responders. “You folks have been incredible,” he said, adding that those battling the flames are “fighting like hell.”

Woolsey Fire

Late Saturday afternoon, Trump landed in Southern California, where the Woolsey Fire has burned nearly 390 square kilometers. Fire officials say the blaze had been about 60 percent contained by Friday. Evacuated residents are returning to the area.

En route from Northern to Southern California, Trump told reporters he had not discussed climate change with Governor Brown and Governor-elect Newsom, both of whom accompanied him on the flight. 

“We have different views,” Trump said. “But maybe not as different as people think.”

On the same issue, Brown told reporters, “We’ll let science determine this over a longer period of time. Right now we’re collaborating on the most immediate response and that’s very important.”

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Bloomberg Donates ‘Unprecedented’ $1.8B to Johns Hopkins

Former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Sunday he’s donating $1.8 billion to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins University, to boost financial aid for low- and middle-income students.

The Baltimore university said the contribution – the largest ever to any education institution in the U.S. – will allow Johns Hopkins to eliminate student loans in financial aid packages starting next fall. The university will instead offer scholarships that don’t have to be repaid.

 

University President Ronald Daniels said Bloomberg’s contribution will also let the institution permanently commit to “need-blind admissions,” or the principle of admitting the highest-achieving students, regardless of their ability to pay for their education.

 

“Hopkins has received a gift that is unprecedented and transformative,” he said in a statement, noting the prestigious school was founded in 1876 by a $7 million gift from Baltimore merchant Johns Hopkins that was, similarly, the largest gift of its kind at the time.  

 

By way of comparison, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation launched the Gates Millennium Scholars program in 1999 with a $1 billion commitment over 20 years. The Chronicle of Higher Education listed it as the largest private donation to a higher-education institution in the U.S. earlier this month.

 

Bloomberg said he expects the money will allow Hopkins to offer more generous scholarships and ease the debt burden for graduates.

 

“America is at its best when we reward people based on the quality of their work, not the size of their pocketbook,” he said in a statement. “Denying students entry to a college based on their ability to pay undermines equal opportunity.”

 

The 76-year-old founder of the global finances services and media company, Bloomberg L.P., is among the world’s richest people. He graduated from Hopkins in 1964, served as New York mayor from 2002 to 2013 and has for years weighed running for president, including in 2020.

 

 

 

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Комітет ПА НАТО одноголосно засудив будівництво Керченського мосту – Фріз

Комітет з питань цивільного виміру та безпеки Парламентської асамблеї НАТО одноголосно підтримав резолюцію до доповіді «Протидія гібридним загрозам Росії» разом із внесеною українською делегацією правкою, що стосується Криму, повідомила голова делегації депутат Ірина Фріз.

«У резолюції до доповіді Лорда Джоплінга «Протидія гібридним загрозам Росії» враховано новий параграф, який було внесено нашою делегацією. Його зміст такий: засуджуючи незаконне будівництво керченського мосту Росією, а також політику Росії щодо вибіркової відмови в доступі та безпідставної затримки українських та міжнародних суден в Азовському морі, сильно занепокоєні новими загрозами безпеці, економіці та екології в цьому регіоні», – написала вона у Facebook.

Читайте більше тут: ПА НАТО. Україна наполягла на посиленні присутності НАТО у Чорному морі 

У середині травня цього року, після завершення будівництва автомобільної частини Керченського мосту, Росія перемістила військові кораблі до Азовського моря, заявляючи про необхідність посилення безпеки навколо стратегічного об’єкта. Відтоді Росія затримала понад півтори сотні українських та іноземних торговельних кораблів, допитувала членів екіпажів та інших людей, які перебували на таких суднах.

12 жовтня президент Петро Порошенко ввів в дію рішення Ради національної безпеки і оборони України про захист національних інтересів у Чорному та Азовському морях і в Керченській протоці.

Європейський парламент 25 жовтня ухвалив резолюцію про загострення ситуації в Азові. Європарламентарі засудили порушення Росією українського суверенітету в Азовському морі і розкритикували штучне блокування торговельних суден. У тексті документу також є заклик до введення нових санкцій проти Кремля у випадку подальшої ескалації напруженості.

Більше цікавих новин, які не потрапили на сайт, – у Telegram-каналі Радіо Свобода. Долучайтеся!

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

У МЗС висловились про напад на акцію ЛГБТ у Києві

Новопризначена речниця Міністерства закордонних справ України Катерина Зеленко засудила агресію праворадикалів у Києві під час мітингу напередоні Дня пам’яті трансгендерних людей, що постраждали або загинули від насильства.

«Напади на журналістів, як і будь-які прояви нетерпимості та насильства, вважаємо неприпустимими. Чекаємо на результати розслідування правоохоронними органами», – написала вона у Twitter.

Раніше із закликом до українських правоохоронців провести ефективне розслідування звернувся посол Канади в Україні Роман Ващук.

Фотокореспондент із Канади Майкл Колборн та двоє учасниць акції зазнали атаки під час акції поблизу станції метро «Університет» у Києві: на них розпилили сьогозогінний газ, журналіста також вдарили в обличчя.

Поліція Києва повідомила, що почала провадження через напад на Колборна за статтею «групове хуліганство», нападників шукають. Щодо проваджень з приводу нападу на активісток силовики наразі не повідомляли.

Близько 40 людей зібралися вранці поблизу парку Шевченка, аби вшанувати пам’ять загиблих трансгендерних людей, однак їх відтіснили праворадикальні контрдемонстранти до метро «Університет». Радикали викрикували образи, розпилювала газ та застосовували димові шашки.

День пам’яті трансгендерних людей, які постраждали або загинули від трансгендерного насильства, відзначають щорічно 20 листопада. За даними моніторингу організації Transgender Europe, за період з 1 жовтня 2017 року по 30 вересня 2018 року було зареєстровано 369 випадків випадків вбивств трансгендерних та гендерно різноманітних людей, що на 44 більше, аніж за аналогічний період минулого року.

Більше цікавих новин, які не потрапили на сайт, – у Telegram-каналі Радіо Свобода. Долучайтеся!

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Washington Looks for Clarity on Who Ordered Khashoggi Killed

Confusion continues in Washington over what the Trump administration has concluded regarding the death of Saudi journalist and U.S. resident Jamal Khashoggi – and the implications for U.S.-Saudi relations. VOA’s Michael Bowman reports, President Donald Trump has repeatedly deflected questions about the kingdom’s crown prince amid news reports the CIA believes Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the killing, last month in Turkey.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Посол Канади відреагував на напад праворадикалів на акцію ЛГБТ і побиття канадського журналіста

Посол Канади в Україні Роман Ващук закликав українських силовиків до ефективного розслідування нападу праворадикалів на акцію напередодні Дня пам’яті трансгендерів, що постраждали або загинули від насильства.

«Сповнені ненависті кримінальні дії праворадикалів заслуговують на ефективну та переконливу відповідь поліції. Нацполіція показала, що вона може це робити, на минулих ЛГБТ-подіях; їм треба ще раз підтвердити (готовність виконувати – ред.) зобов’язання щодо захисту медіа і прав людини», – написав дипломат у Twitter.

Фотокореспондент Майкл Колборн та двоє учасниць акції зазнали атаки під час акції поблизу станції метро «Університет» у Києві: на них розпилили сьогозогінний газ, журналіста також вдарили в обличчя.

Поліція Києва повідомила, що почала провадження через напад на Колборна за статтею «групове хуліганство», нападників шукають. Щодо проваджень з приводу нападу на активісток силовики наразі не повідомляли.

Близько 40 людей зібралися враці поблизу парку Шевченка, аби вшанувати пам’ять загиблих трансгендерних людей, однак їх відтіснили праворадикальні контрдемонстранти до метро «Університет». Радикали викрикували образи, розпилювала газ та застосовували димові шашки.

Коли почалася ескалація, поліція просто заштовхала учасників правозахисної акції у метро, написав у Twitter журналіст Радіо Свобода Крістофер Міллер.

Поліція натомість заявила, що розділила два мітинги, аби не допустити конфліктів. 

День пам’яті трансгендерних людей, які постраждали або загинули від трансгендерного насильства, відзначають щорічно 20 листопада. За даними моніторингу організації Transgender Europe, за період з 1 жовтня 2017 року по 30 вересня 2018 року було зареєстровано 369 випадків випадків вбивств трансгендерних та гендерно різноманітних людей, що на 44 більше, аніж за аналогічний період минулого року.

Більше цікавих новин, які не потрапили на сайт, – у Telegram-каналі Радіо Свобода. Долучайтеся!

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Pence, Xi Sell Competing Views to Asian Regional Economies

The United States and China offered competing views to regional leaders at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings in Papua New Guinea, trading sharp words over trade, investment, and regional security.  Washington said it can provide a better option for regional allies under is “Free and Open Indo-Pacific” strategy.  as VOA’s State Department correspondent Nike Ching reports, the APEC gathering ended without a formal leaders’ statement.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

APEC Ends Without Communique as China, US Differ

An acrimonious meeting of world leaders in Papua New Guinea failed to agree Sunday on a final communique, highlighting widening divisions between global powers China and the U.S.

The 21 nations at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Port Moresby struggled to bridge differences on the role of the World Trade Organization, which governs international trade, officials said. A statement was to be issued instead by the meeting’s chair, Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O’Neill.

“The entire world is worried” about tensions between China and the U.S., O’Neill told a mob of reporters that surrounded him after he confirmed there was no communique from leaders.

It was the first time leaders had failed to agree on a declaration in 29 years of the Pacific Rim summits that involve countries representing 60 percent of the world economy.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there were differences between several nations, including China and the U.S. Draft versions of the communique seen by The Associated Press showed the U.S wanted strong language against unfair trade practices that it accuses of China. China, meanwhile, wanted a reaffirmation of opposition to protectionism and unilateralism it says the U.S. is engaging in.

“I don’t think it will come as a huge surprise that there are differing visions on particular elements in regard to trade and those prevented there from being a full consensus on the communique,” Trudeau said.

Rising West-China rivalry

The two-day summit was punctuated by acrimony and underlined a rising rivalry between China and the West for influence in the usually neglected South Pacific. China is a relative newcomer to providing aid, and its loan-heavy, no-strings attached approach has unsettled Western nations that have been the mainstay donors to developing nations and often use aid to nudge nations toward reforms.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Chinese President Xi Jinping traded barbs in speeches Saturday. Pence professed respect for Xi and China but also harshly criticized the world’s No. 2 economy for intellectual property theft, forced technology transfers and unfair trading practices.

The U.S. has this year imposed additional tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese goods, and Beijing has retaliated with its own tariffs on U.S. products.

The world, according to Xi’s speech, is facing a choice between cooperation and confrontation as protectionism and unilateralism grows. He said the rules of global institutions set up after World War II such as the World Trade Organization should not be bent for selfish agendas.

Pence told reporters that during the weekend he had two “candid” conversations with Xi, who is expected to meet President Donald Trump at a Group of 20 summit at the end of this month in Buenos Aires.

“There are differences today. They begin with trade practices, with tariffs and quotas, forced technology transfers, the theft of intellectual property. It goes beyond that to freedom of navigation in the seas, concerns about human rights,” Pence said.

​China rejects US criticism

The U.S. is interested in a better relationship “but there has to be change” from China’s side, Pence said he told Xi, who responded that dialogue is important.

China’s foreign ministry rejected the U.S. criticism that it was leading other developing nations into debt bondage.

“The assistance provided by China has been warmly welcomed by our partners in this region and beyond,” Wang Xiaolong, a foreign ministry official, told a news conference.

“No country either in this region or in other regions has fallen into a so called debt trap because of its cooperation with China. Give me one example,” he said.

Countering Belt and Road

In Port Moresby, the impact of China’s aid and loans is highly visible. But the U.S. and allies are countering with efforts to finance infrastructure in Papua New Guinea and other island states. The U.S. has also said it will be involved in ally Australia’s plan to develop a naval base with Papua New Guinea.

On Sunday, the U.S., New Zealand, Japan and Australia said they’d work with Papua New Guinea’s government to bring electricity to 70 percent of its people by 2030. Less than 20 percent have a reliable electricity supply.

“The commitment of the United States of America to this region of the world has never been stronger,” Pence said at a signing ceremony. A separate statement from his office said other countries are welcome to join the electrification initiative provided they support the U.S. vision of a free and open Pacific.

China, meanwhile, has promised $4 billion of finance to build the first national road network in Papua New Guinea, among the least urbanized countries in the world.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.